Windows 7 Service Pack 1 – Installation Failure ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED (0x80070005)

When Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was made available last week, I eagerly downloaded it and then attempted to install it on my laptop, at which it failed.  The error message was not particularly helpful either.

image

So following the instructions, I disabled my anti-virus and repeated the process, but once again I received ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED(0x80070005).

Having worked with Windows for many years, I knew to go on the hunt for the installation logs.

Navigating to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS, I located the log called CBS.log

Opening the log file I searched for the usual negative terms such as failure, denied and error, with Error giving me the most results.

I found multiple references in the CBS.log such as these.

2011-02-20 17:02:03, Info CBS    Failed to get session package state for package: Package_2_for_KB978601~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.1 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 – ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-02-20 17:02:03, Info CBS    Failed to get session package state for package: Package_37_for_KB2443685~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 – ERROR_NOT_FOUND]
2011-02-20 17:02:05, Info CBS    Failed to get session package state for package: Package_2_for_KB974431~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.5 [HRESULT = 0x80070490 – ERROR_NOT_FOUND]

I am not sure as to why these updates were reporting an ERROR_NOT_FOUND message, but after fully examining the CBS.log file I was left with a list of these updates (Note: this is my list of updates to remove, yours could be different).

KB2207566
KB2296011
KB2305420
KB2385678
KB2393802
KB2443685
KB2454826
KB2467023
KB2479628
KB2482017
KB2485376
KB2487426
KB972270
KB974431
KB974571
KB975467
KB977617
KB978601
KB978637
KB979482
KB979688
KB980846
KB982110
KB982799

Opening from the Control Panel, Programs and Features and then by selecting “view installed updates”, I removed all the listed updates that reported ERROR_NOT_FOUND in the CBS.log.

I then rebooted and attempted to reinstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 again and hey presto, after about an hour, my laptop was up and running with Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

Success.

When I get time, I will investigate why I got these errors in the first place, but for me the important thing was getting Service Pack 1 on the laptop.  I am coming to the conclusion this issue was caused by having a pre-release of the service pack on my laptop as my other machines, which did not have a pre-release version of Service Pack 1 installed have been error free.

I HOPE THIS HELPS, THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME, BUT DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL WORK FOR YOU.